- 1 cup mayonaise
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- mixing bowl and spoon
- plastic wrap and plastic bag
- comb, hair tie
1) Mix together mayo, egg, and oil in a small mixing bowl. Appetizing, huh? (Note: one cup was plenty for my long, thick hair, but if you have thinner or shorter hair, I'd advise less mayo.)
2) With your hair dry and combed, begin working the mixture through your scalp as if you were massaging in shampoo. Once your scalp is thoroughly covered in the mixture, coat the rest of your hair with it. (I did this step in the bathtub and in an old swimsuit, to avoid mess!)
3) Comb through your hair to evenly distribute the mask. Tie your hair into a low bun.
4) Use the plastic wrap to wrap your whole scalp, not leaving any hair uncovered, then put the plastic bag over your hair and tie the handles at your forehead to secure. This is to trap your body heat, furthering the effect of the mask. (Warning: you will look ridiculous after this step. I know I did.)
5) Leave head wrapped for an hour so the mask can soak. Go read a book or give yourself a manicure!
6) Take off and dispose of the bag and wrap, and take your hair out of the bun. Step into the shower and thoroughly rinse out the mask, then shampoo and condition as normal.
7) You're done! Enjoy your soft, healthy hair!
I like to do this monthly, and I love how my hair looks. Good luck, and I hope you try it!