Sunday, April 18, 2010

Homemade Hair Mask

Hey girls! So I've been growing my hair out for seven months now, and as you know it is essential to keep long hair healthy. Through my research on healthy hair tricks, I found out about hair masks, or goop you cover your hair in and leave in for an hour. Hair masks are excellent for nourishing and strengthening your hair, so without further ado, here's how to make one!

Materials Needed:
  • 1 cup mayonaise
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
  • mixing bowl and spoon
  • plastic wrap and plastic bag
  • comb, hair tie
(The mayonnaise and oils condition your hair; the egg strengthens.)

1) Mix together mayo, egg, and oil in a small mixing bowl. Appetizing, huh? (Note: one cup was plenty for my long, thick hair, but if you have thinner or shorter hair, I'd advise less mayo.)
2) With your hair dry and combed, begin working the mixture through your scalp as if you were massaging in shampoo. Once your scalp is thoroughly covered in the mixture, coat the rest of your hair with it. (I did this step in the bathtub and in an old swimsuit, to avoid mess!)
3) Comb through your hair to evenly distribute the mask. Tie your hair into a low bun.
4) Use the plastic wrap to wrap your whole scalp, not leaving any hair uncovered, then put the plastic bag over your hair and tie the handles at your forehead to secure. This is to trap your body heat, furthering the effect of the mask. (Warning: you will look ridiculous after this step. I know I did.)
5) Leave head wrapped for an hour so the mask can soak. Go read a book or give yourself a manicure!
6) Take off and dispose of the bag and wrap, and take your hair out of the bun. Step into the shower and thoroughly rinse out the mask, then shampoo and condition as normal.
7) You're done! Enjoy your soft, healthy hair!

I like to do this monthly, and I love how my hair looks. Good luck, and I hope you try it!
Love, Val

1 comment:

  1. That is like a wonder mask...all ingredients always available at home and the method of converting body heat for hair spa was also excellent.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts here.