Sunday, June 20, 2010

Review: CoverGirl Smoky Shadow Blast

Hello lovelies! Sorry I've been gone so long, the last few weeks of school were brutal, and then I was a camp counselor for a week. But now I'm free to blog as much as I want!
So, I went to CVS a few days ago and picked up three things. Two Revlon ColorBurst lipsticks in 'soft nude' and 'peach' - I love them both!! Then, on my way out I saw CoverGirl's Smoky Shadow Blast, and I picked it up as well because I thought a cream eyeshadow would be nice for summer.

The color I chose is called 'Purple Plum.'

The 'gimmick' here is that you can easily achieve smoky eyes by applying step one (the rounded side) all over your lid, and step two (chiseled) into the crease and upper lash line.

This is going to be a long one, so please read my entire experiment/review after the jump!

Final Score: 1/5 Stars

Haul coming soon! Thanks for reading-
Love, Val


I started off with a couple quick swatches. I quickly found the product to be quite thick, and a little too creamy for my taste, but the pigmentation was decent.

However with only a quick swipe of my finger the color all but disappeared.

I knew then that the staying power was pretty awful, so I decided to conduct an experiment. On one eye, I would apply exactly according to the instructions. On the other, I would prime and set the product so as to improve staying power. Here are the pictures:

On my left eye, I started off with the original Urban Decay Primer Potion (or UDPP) to prevent creasing and hopefully help the eyeshadows stick.  I applied the Shadow Blast as directed- pink all over lid up to browbone, brown in crease and upper lash line. I set the creamy formula with La Mer translucent powder, tapping it in with a concealer brush. Even with all these efforts, after an hour the colors had faded and were beginning to crease.

On my right eye, I applied Shadow Blast directly to the lid exactly how I did the left. After an hour the colors were pretty much all gone, and what was left was creasing.

Overall
A good idea, however this product feels way too oily and thick on the lids. I think the creamy formula was the downfall here - it was at fault for the creasing, smudging, and the reason why the brown side broke after my first use!! So do NOT buy this, it is a waste of $9. Instead stick to your powder shadows, or research some good cream eyeshadows.

Final Score: 1/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here.